Kuala Lumpur: Mah Sing Group Berhad’s wholly owned subsidiary Mont Meridian Development Sdn Bhd has entered into a conditional agreement to acquire 100% of VIP Sanctuary Sdn Bhd (VIP) in an innovative bid to raise funds for Mah Sing Foundation.
VIP has beneficial interest in the award winning film “The Kid From The Big Apple” produced by Three Productions Sdn Bhd. The movie is slated for a Malaysian cinema premier on 10 March 2016, in GSC Cinemas throughout the country. VIP’s profits will be donated to Mah Sing Foundation.
Mah Sing’s Group Managing Director Tan Sri Dato’ Sri Leong Hoy Kum said, “We will channel the profits received to Mah Sing Foundation and we hope the public will provide full support for this movie which has very good themes namely family, togetherness, culture and tradition. Movie goers will be able to enjoy a really heartwarming movie and do charity at the same time.”
Heartwarming tale of love and learning
Hong Kong movie industry veteran Stanley Law helmed the movie as the producer for “The Kid from the Big Apple” which was filmed entirely in Malaysia. The movie is based on Jess Teong’s screenplay about a 12 year-old born and bred New Yorker, Sarah who was sent to live in Malaysia when her mother had to relocate to China on a work assignment.
Initially, Sarah hid her insecurities under a cloak of bravado, but the movie evolved into a heartwarming tale of love, learning and acceptance about their culture and traditions. Jess Teong also did double duty as the Director, while Vivian Hsu and Peter Poon were the Executive Producers.
Innovative fund raising via award winning movie
Tan Sri Dato’ Sri Leong commented, “This movie is an innovative way for us to raise more funds for Mah Sing Foundation, and support a collaborative work between international stars and local talents as well. We are confident in the movie which has is already the official finalist of the 2013 New York Screenplay Contest and the 2014 Hollywood Screenplay Contest.”
The movie recently swept 4 awards at the 7th Macau International Movie Festival (Golden Lotus Award), namely:
- Best actor – Veteran actor Di-Lung (Tommy Tam)
- Best writing – Award winning Malaysian born director and writer Jess Teong
- Best supporting actress – Popular Hong Kong star Jessica Hester Hsuan
- Best newcomer – Malaysian child star Sarah Tan
About Mah Sing Group
Mah Sing Group was voted Best Developer of the year in iProperty People’s Choice Award 2015 for 2 years consecutively and ranked Top 5 in The Edge’s Top Property Developers Awards 2015, for diligently crafting dream homes for 21 years. The Company has successfully cultivated 46 projects with 11 of them beautifully completed spanning four regions – Northern, Central, Southern and East Malaysia.
About Mah Sing Foundation
Established in 2005, Mah Sing Foundation is Mah Sing Group’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) platform. The Foundation celebrates the achievement of Mah Sing Group’s long-term and continuous commitment to being a responsible and active participant in building community partnerships, both locally and abroad.
Mah Sing Foundation does this through a four-pronged approach:
- Medical Assistance for Malaysians who are suffering from disease and disability, or are critically ill. The Foundation will also carry out and support schemes by organizations which look after public health and welfare, including giving financial support.
- Financial Assistance and Relief Schemes for the poor and distressed.
- Education Assistance Comprising Subsidies and Donations to needy and deserving students.
- Encouragement of Social and Sporting Activities which will enrich the community and serve to promote national unity.