Reef Check was established in the USA in 1996 to raise awareness on the importance of, and threats to, coral reefs. The local chapter, Reef Check Malaysia (RCM), was registered as a non-profit organisation in 2007 to engage with the local community as well as protect, restore and revive coral reefs in Malaysia. RCM partners with a global network of trained and certified EcoDiver volunteers to conduct annual Reef Check surveys to assess the health of reefs around the islands of Malaysia. RCM also conducts education and awareness programmes, along with coral reef rehabilitation programmes. Reef Check is active in 82 countries and territories throughout the world.
What it does
RCM has programmes in four core areas;
- Eco Action – Eco Action provides non-scientific divers with the opportunity to help conserve reefs by using the standardized Reef Check survey methodology.
- Outreach – Platform to reach out to school children.
- Skateholder Engagement – RCM engages with stakeholders with programmes for coral reef management.
- Science & Management – RCM engages with the scientific community and local universities to help manage coral reefs.
Join the cause!
RCM is looking for partners to join them for the following initiatives:
- Help take direct action to impact local communities
- Help preserve fish stocks for future generations
- Help alleviate poverty among island communities
- Help create sustainable islands in Malaysia
- Make a strong personal and corporate environmental statement
If you’re interested in joining hands with RCM to create a better tomorrow, get in touch with them and find out how you can help.
Reef Check Malaysia
Suite 5.19-5.22, Box 606
Wisma Central, Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 2161 5948